So you’ve decided it’s time to replace your roof. You will probably want to compare prices and service quality from a few different local contractors to decide which one is the best fit for you. In order to do this effectively, you need to create a checklist of everything you want so you can give each contractor identical requirements and receive comparable bids. Without your checklist, you will could very well receive wildly different bids which will make it possible to compare them accurately.
Building a checklist
- Tear-off vs. Overlay In most instances, homeowners are allowed up to two layers of shingles. If your underlayment is in good condition, you can save a bit of money by adding a second layer of shingles instead of doing a complete tear-off. On the other hand, if you already have multiple layers of shingles or your underlayment is damaged, you will need a complete replacement.
- Roofing Material Decide which roofing material you want and is best for your home.
- Asphalt shingles are one of the most common and affordable options
- Slate roofing is more costly but this option is extremely durable and attractive
- Metal roofing offers energy savings, outstanding fire protection, and a lengthy lifespan
- Concrete and ceramic tiles provide yet another strong and aesthetically pleasing option
- Warranty Protections Ask each contractor what kind of installation guarantees they offer. The workmanship is not covered by product warranties, so a reputable contractor needs to offer assurances that they will stand by their work
- Product Comparisons When you have chosen your material, do your research on different manufacturers and the material they offer. Not all asphalt shingles are created equally, so make sure you pick a manufacturer with a high customer satisfaction rating. If you are going the metal route, consider the pros and cons of stainless steel, aluminum, and copper.
If you are considering a new roof, the very best thing to do is hire an experienced roofing contractor to complete a thorough inspection and estimate. Keep in mind, the lowest estimate is not always the best. Make sure whichever roofer you go with, they can provide local references, serves your area from a local office, and can provide you with valid licensing and insurance.
Need a professional, trustworthy roofer?
Teague Roofing Plus has been keeping the Ozarks covered since 1978. We offer free inspections and estimates, are locally-owned and operated, and only work with the highest grade materials. Give us a call to schedule your appointment!